Moving out

The rules for vacating are not the same for all rental units. We therefore recommend that you thoroughly familiarise yourself with the vacating process.

  • Termination of the lease

    There is usually a requirement for three months’ notice on your lease. This means that you are liable for the rent for three months after the notice to vacate. This is applicable whether or not you move out of the rental unit before the expiry of the period of notice. If you notify us that you wish to vacate before the expiry of the period of notice, we will of course try to re-let the rental unit before the three months are up.
    Your lease states exactly how long notice you have.

    How to give notice to end your tenancy

    You may give a digital notice to end your tenancy by sending a written notice of termination to DEAS. You should indicate your tenant number, as evidenced by letters from us or by rent notices, your contact information (email address and telephone number) and your new address.

    The notice must be received by us no later than the first working day of the month before office closing time at 16:00, so the period of notice may be calculatede from the same date.
    Before a holiday: if the following day is a public holiday, your notice, however, must be received by us the last working day of the preceding month - before office closing time at 16:00.

    Remember to settle all work on the unit before you cancel the lease

    If you have a rental unit that was taken over ‘as is’ and there is an account for interior maintenance, we close the account when we receive your cancellation. Therefore, you must have all work approved and settled before you submit your cancellation, if you want to have the workers paid through the account. Please be aware that not all work is covered by the interior maintenance account.

    Terminate your lease
  • Inspection

    We give all the tenants the opportunity to have a no-obligation pre-inspection performed of the rental unit's condition before the final moving-out inspection.

    It gives you an idea of what work is expected to be carried out in the rental unit. It is especially a good idea if your tenancy agreement was entered into after 1 July 2015, since your rental property then must be returned with required maintenance. Required maintenance means that maintenance work must be performed. But this is only if the rental unit – after inspection and estimates – needs to be maintained.

    The inspection is a guideline

    The extent of your repair obligation shall be based on an inspection of the condition of the rental unit at the time of vacating compared with the condition the rental unit was in when you took it over. This means that, at the time of inspection, we cannot tell you exactly what requires repair in the rental unit and whether it is you or the landlord who should pay for the work.

    At the time of inspection, the building superintendent cannot necessarily give you a complete description of all necessary work since the rental unit is typically furnished, but we can give you an explanation of what we look for on the final moving-out inspection.

    The inspection is undertaken only on your initiative, and it is the property's building superintendent who performs the inspection. The inspection may be made before or after your termination.

    Order pre-inspection before vacation

  • Refurbishing when vacating

    You should be aware that you, according to your tenancy agreement, may be required to vacate the rental unit and hand over the keys 14 days before the period of notice expires. This is because the rental unit must be refurbished before the new tenants can move in.

  • Your refurbishment obligation

    In your tenancy agreement, you can read whether you are required to refurbish the rental unit when you move. The extent of the work typically depends on when your tenancy agreement was entered into.

    If the tenancy agreement is entered into before 1 July 2015, you are usually required to return the rental unit in the same condition as it was when you leased it. This generally means that you, upon vacating, must vacate the rental unit as is or newly renovated.

    If the tenancy agreement is entered into after 1 July 2015, you must pay for repainting and refinishing the floors; if your tenancy agreement lists interior maintenance, it will be evaluated upon vacating whether maintenance is required. It is required when necessary to restore the rental unit to a well-maintained condition.

    If you have not taken over the rental unit fully refurbished, you typically receive a reduction on the cost of refurbishment.

  • If your rental unit is damaged

    You must always, and without deductions, pay for any repair work caused by misuse of the rental unit. Misuse is typically damage which occurs if:

    • the rental unit is used incorrectly (e.g. painted in colours that are not permitted under the tenancy agreement),
    • the rental unit is maintained incorrectly (e.g. work which is not performed by the correct craftspeople),
    • regular painting and flooring work have not been performed, even if the tenant has been obligated to perform regular interior maintenance,
    • there has been inappropriate behaviour (e.g. holes in the walls and marks on floors),
    • the landlord has not been informed of new damage or about the need for the landlord to perform maintenance work.
  • If you want to be responsible for the refurbishment

    Whether you do the work yourself, or you hire a VAT registered, professional craftsperson to do the work, it must be performed to a proper standard.

    The refurbishment must be implemented before the time stated in your tenancy agreement. It is typically 10 business days before the day you vacate the rental unit.

    It is always a good idea to ask the property's building superintendent to carry out an inspection before refurbishing your rental unit.

  • If we are responsible for the refurbishment

    If you do not wish to be responsible for the refurbishment, we can handle the project. This also applies in the situation that you have vacated the rental unit prior to the time stated in your tenancy agreement.  We strive always to do the refurbishment as inexpensively as possible in keeping with our standards of quality.

    You can still choose the craftspeople who are to perform the work. It is of course required that the craftspeople are VAT registered and can perform the work at the time and in the quality we require. If you choose your own craftspeople, the worker(s) must be present at the inspection and provide an estimate on the work at this time so that both you and we know what the refurbishment will cost.

  • Moving-out inspection

    Once we have received your termination notice, we confirm it to you in a letter. Here we also inform you what to do in connection with vacating your rental unit.

    At the same time, with the confirmation of your termination notice, we will send a summons to a moving-out inspection. The moving-out inspection can only be performed once you have vacated the rental unit. In other words, the entire rental unit must be emptied and cleaned.

    If there is a tenants' representation at the property, you are of course welcome to take an tenant representative along to the moving-out inspection.

  • Moving report is completed

    At the moving-out inspection, the building inspector checks the rental unit and checks off which works are required on the moving report. The report also indicates whether it is you or the landlord who should pay for the work.

    When the moving report is completed, you will receive a copy. Both you and the landlord sign the report.

  • Statement of opposition

    If you and the landlord do not agree on the extent of your renovation obligation, the rent board can, on your or your landlord’s request, decide on the extent of your renovation obligation.

  • Moving settlement

    A moving settlement contains a statement of the outstanding financial balance between you and the landlord, including your deposit, prepaid rent and repair of the rental unit. In addition, often a small sum for on-account heating will be retained at the time of the moving settlement, as this amount can only be ascertained when the next heat accounts are available.

    If work is not required to be performed in your rental unit, you will receive a moving settlement approximately 2-3 weeks from the date you are no longer liable to pay the rent.

    If repair work must be carried out in the rental unit, there will be some time before the works are carried out, and before we have received bills from the workers. You will therefore typically receive your moving settlement approximately 6-8 weeks after the date on which you are no longer liable for paying rent.

    If you disagree with your moving settlement, you must contact us in writing.

  • Heat and water

    When you receive your moving settlement, you should be aware that heat or water statements are not necessarily complete, and that you can therefore subsequently receive a bill.

    In your tenancy agreement, you can see when the heat accounts terminate. For example, if you vacated the rental unit on 1 April, and heat accounts terminated on 1 March, it will take more than a year after vacating before we can prepare a final statement. A heat account ending 1 March will typically only be available around mid-May.

    You are responsible for cancelling your subscription for electricity with the electric company. The caretaker can help you read the electric meter.

  • Maintenance account

    • If your tenancy agreement was entered into before 1 July 2015, and it is associated with an internal maintenance account: The balance of the maintenance account will be deducted from your cost of the refurbishment if you took over the rental unit as fully refurbished.
    • If you are not obliged to hand over the rental unit fully refurbished, or if your tenancy agreement was entered into after 1 July 2015, and is associated with an internal maintenance account: You must only pay for the refurbishment of the rental unit if negligence has been ascertained. These costs are not covered by the deposit on the maintenance account.

    You can always contact us if you want to know what the balance is on your maintenance account.

    If you are performing the refurbishment yourself, remember that you must have approval of the work by the building superintendent before you or your VAT-registered, professional workers begin the project. Otherwise you will not be able to recoup the cost of the deposit amount on the account.

    You should also be aware that your own 'labour costs' cannot be reimbursed from the maintenance account.

  • Re-letting of the rental unit

    Potential new tenants must be given the opportunity to inspect your rental unit before you move out. For this reason, we need your help in showing the rental unit.

    Some landlords have an established procedure for how and when vacant units are offered to potential new tenants, and these must be followed.

    In order to facilitate the task for you, we will send a form where you can tell us how and, if applicable, when you can show the rental unit. In this connection, we would like to point out that the phone number you provide is disclosed in the offer letters to applicants.

  • Times for showing the rental unit

    There are also some rules that apply to showing a rental unit: There must be at least two hours every other day on weekdays at a time that suits you.


Find and sign our forms digitally.

Go to E-service

The easy way to send tasks or questions - around the clock.

Download app